Laptops offer Touchpads as a convenient built in way of navigating through the user interface. Most laptops have notoriously bad touchpads and we all accept that fact without much questioning. Anyone who uses their laptop extensively will surely have a mouse with them to use with their laptop instead of the touchpad and if you are fed up with accidental touches and actions caused by your touchpad and want to learn How to Disable Touchpad when Mouse is Connected in Windows 10 then this is the guide for you. Today we are going to take a look at how you can disable laptop touchpad when mouse is connected.
- Why Should you Disable Touchpad when Mouse is connected on Laptop?
- Methods to Disable Laptop Touchpad in Windows 10
- Disable Touchpad when Mouse is Connected in Windows 10 Settings
- Disable Touchpad in Windows 10 Control Panel
- Disable Laptop Touchpad by Modifying the Registry in Windows 10
- Using System/Driver Application to Disable Touchpad
- Disable Laptop Touchpad Using the Function Keys
Why Should you Disable Touchpad when Mouse is connected on Laptop?
Misclicks are very frequent and common on laptops which have their touchpads active even when a mouse is connected. These misclicks could lead to slower typing and random actions which may cause you to lose your precious work. Having multiple input options is a boon for people who are able to multitask well but for an average user, multiple inputs can mean nightmares. Hence it is recommended that you deactivate laptop touchpad when mouse is connected in Windows 10.
Methods to Disable Laptop Touchpad in Windows 10
There are a number of methods through which you can disable touchpad when mouse is connected on Windows 10. They are –
Disable Touchpad when Mouse is Connected in Windows 10 Settings
- Click the Windows Start Menu and tap the Gear Icon (Settings)
- Select Devices
- Go to Touchpad
- You will find an option called – Leave touchpad on when a mouse is connected uncheck the box
When you connect a mouse the next time you will notice that your touchpad now is disabled and the mouse is your primary input device.
Disable Touchpad in Windows 10 Control Panel
This method only works if you are using a laptop that uses either ELAN or Windows Precision drivers to control the Touchpad.
1. Open the Start Menu and type Control Panel. Open it.
2. Find a setting called Mouse. Open it
3. Find a tab called Device Settings or ELAN
4. Search for a checkbox called Disable internal pointing device when external USB pointing device is attached or Disable when external USB pointing device plug in
5. Ensure that box is checked. Save and exit.
6. This should Disable Touchpad when Mouse is connected in Windows 10
Disable Laptop Touchpad by Modifying the Registry in Windows 10
Disclaimer – I strongly recommend you to not try this unless you are very experienced and an advanced user as this can brick your device. You have been warned.
If you have a synaptics touchpad on your device then this method will help you disable touchpad when mouse is connected in Windows 10 on your laptop via Windows Registry.
- Press Windows Key + R and type Regedit.exe and hit enter. Click yes is prompted
- Find this Entry path
- Click the path and on the right hand side window right click on any empty space and select NEW
- Create a New DWORD (32-Bit) Value with the name DisableIntPDFeature
- Double click on it and it will open the properties. Select Hexadecimal and change the Value Data to 33. Click OK to Save.
- Close the Registry editor and Reboot your system and pray that it starts.
- If all went well, a new option will appear in your mouse settings to disable touchpad.
Also learn: How to Extract Images from Word Document
Using System/Driver Application to Disable Touchpad
Many manufacturers bundle their own control panel and setting applications, touchpad driver application and oftentimes you can find an option to disable touchpad in there. So open your application and navigate to mouse settings and try to find an option called disable touchpad when mouse is connected.
Disable Laptop Touchpad Using the Function Keys
Most laptops have a physical ways to disable touchpad using function keys shortcuts, which can usually be done by pressing the precise combination of keys.
1. From the F row (F1 to F12) find a key with laptop touchpad icon like this.
2. Hold the Fn key on your system and press the key that has a touchpad.
3. This should disable your laptop touchpad.
Please note that this method may vary with every laptop but usually works with most general consumer laptops made by Asus, Lenovo, Dell, HP and etc.
We hope our guide here helps you disable laptop touchpad when mouse is connected on Windows 10 to save you from the nightmare of multitouch input. If you have any more questions or want us to guide you through any other technical issue of yours feel free to let us know in the comments below.