Fix Discord Won’t Open: It feels hapless when you plan to play online games with your friends and before the gaming session starts, your Discord refuses to open or Discord won’t open error happens. The only thought comes in your mind is how to fix discord won’t open error quickly so that the game would proceed further.
- What is Discord
- How to Fix Discord Won’t Open Error
What is Discord
Discord is a one in all applications that are specially intended for gaming communities. This messaging service specializes in the text, audio, video and image communication among the users in a channel. This innovative software is designed to run on Windows and other operating systems. Its outstanding features like keeping IP address safe, built-in DDoS protection, and options to embed media with voice-messaging make it a reliable platform for a server to client communication. It helps gamers to communicate with each other during a play.
How to Fix Discord Won’t Open Error
Sometimes, when a user tries to open the Windows Discord VoIP app, it doesn’t open. Also, nothing happens on double-clicking the executable file. In some cases, the application windows open but nothing shows on the screen. The major complexity of this problem is, it doesn’t solve even after rebooting or reinstalling the app completely. While opening the task manager a message appears on its dialog box, the Discord.exe file is running. A grey blank application screen represents the possibility that the app is trying to log in your id on the internet but failed.
Related: 5 Best FPS Counter for PC Games
There may be bunches of reasons behind the non-opening of discord on windows like the interference of another program running in the background, the failed synchronization of the Discord app with the game or the program, the overload of excess cache files on CPU and presence of missing or corrupted files.
With the increasing popularity of Discord communication software among the users, it becomes more essential to find out the solution to fix its opening issue. There are various ways you can opt to solve the not loading problems of Discord software. Let us have a look at some of resolving methods for how to fix Discord won’t open issue in Windows.
Method 1: Use Task Kill from Task Manager
Some user used this method to solve the blank screen and background running Discord issues. The method includes three steps, locating the app, stopping the process, and restarting the app and fix the app won’t open error.
- To open the task manager, press and hold CTRL + SHIFT + ESC.
- Choose the Process tab
- To find out the Discord.exe, scroll through the list.
- Select the Discord.exe and click on the End Task button located at the bottom right corner.
If there are more than one Discord.exe processes, then just repeat the procedure and kill all the processes before launching the application again. When you restart the app, it will work normally.
Method 2: Use Kill Task by Alternative way
This is the alternative method to close the Discord task running in the background. The users to whom the first method does not work can use it by following the steps below.
- Open the Run dialog box by pressing Win + R keys together
- Type the command ‘cmd’ and press Enter
- In command prompt window type the command taskkill F/ IM discord .exe and press the Enter key.
This will immediately kill the Discord exe task. Relaunch the Discord application and it will run the way it should.
Method 3: Use the Web Version of Discord App
Most of the time the Discord not opening a problem occurs due to the session/cookies. Lots of people have successfully resolved issues by logging in with the web version of the app. After attempting the log in through the web version, check the windows Discord app version. The application almost resets the account and functions appropriately. The process involves the following steps:
- Open your browser and navigate to https://discordapp.com
- Select the Login button and click on it
- Step 3. Enter your login details in the required fields and submit.
Method 4: Repair Corrupt System Files
Discord won’t open if it encountered a corrupted file while opening in the windows. Try to fix these corrupted files. By using the System File Checker (SFC) tool, you can scan the corrupted files and then repair them.
Attempt the following steps:
- First navigate the Start menu
- In search box type ‘cmd’
- Navigate the command prompt app and right click on it, then select ‘Run as administrator’
- Type command as – sfc /scannow and press the Enter button
- Wait until the scan is completing
- Later Restart your PC
With the completion of a scan, the command prompt window will show a list of all corrupted files and their repaired actions.
Method 5: Reset DNS
When DNS settings get corrupted over time, it may prevent Discord application to connect with the internet. It affects the performance of Discord program. To fix this complication you should reset the DNS configuration by flushing the DNS.
- Press Windows + R both the keys together
- In Run box, type ‘cmd’ and press the Enter key
- In command prompt window type ipconfig/flushdns and then press Enter
- Wait for the process to complete and Exit the command prompt
Launch the Discord application and you will find it properly functioning.
Method 6: Set Windows Date and Time to Automatic
It is strange but a truth that changing the Date/Time setting can fix Discord won’t open error. Lots of users get benefited from this method. To change the Date/Time settings follow the steps.
- Press Windows + I button together
- Click Time and Language option
- Navigate Set Time Automatically and turn on the toggle button
- Restart the Discord app again.
Method 7: Delete and Re-install Discord App
If no method is working then you should delete the app content and install the Discord app again. First of all, delete the Discord’s folder from the App Data folder and uninstall it. After that re-install the app with the following steps.
- Press Windows + R
- Type appwiz.cpl in the Run dialog box
- Click on the OK button and press Enter
- Browse program list and select Discord app
- Click Uninstall
- Restart your PC and open the web browser
- Type the URL – https://discordapp.com/download
- Download Discord app setup files and follow the installation guidelines.
Still juggling with the Discord won’t open error, no need to be panic, just follow the above tried & tested methods and fix the problem quickly. Most of the users are applying these excellent ideas and enjoying hassle-free gaming chat sessions.