“Fortnite chat not working” is leaving the players with no option left to coordinate with their teammates. There has been a hue and cry for a long time on the internet regarding fixing the voice chat issues on Fortnite.
If you have just found your mic not working on parties anymore, don’t worry because you aren’t alone. Epic Games is still trying to fix this problem that’s causing continual trouble to the gamers. The issue is getting common with more and more users popping out every day, acknowledging Fornite voice chat isn’t working.
Unfortunately, still there isn’t any statement or official fix released by the company. But with the trial and error method, I’ve found a few workarounds to help you with this problem. However, I can’t assert that these fixes are certainly going to make the voice chat working for you, but it’s worth giving a try instead of sitting on the sideline.
How to Fix Fortnite Voice Chat Not Working
This is strange that with every patch implemented, the issue is rather arising, and more players are coming up reporting that they aren’t able to hear their teammates and vice versa.
Reportedly, Fornite voice chat problem is being more prominent to Windows PC and cross-platform devices. Although it’s not restricted to a single platform, even Xbox users have caught up not being able to hear anything over the mic.
Related: 10 Best NES Emulators for PC
Since the root cause is still unknown to us, there’s not enough we could do to fix the problem apart from making sure that everything is working fine at our ends. So before you reach out your hands to try advanced stuff, do the basic first.
At the very first, try signing out from Fornite and then sign in back again to see if the issue has gone or waiting for you. If it’s still there, go ahead with the methods given below.
Method 1: Dealing with Headset
Making sure that your headset is performing well is the first place where you should start to try fixing the problem. Unplug your headset and re-plug it back and forth. Check the volume buttons and make sure that you haven’t pressed the mute button given on the headset.
You gotta test the mic by checking it on other platforms to ensure it’s not causing issues elsewhere, that means the mic is working fine. On the other hand, if you are using a wireless headset, check if it has stable connectivity to the device connected.
And if it checks all the boxes as mentioned, that means the mic itself isn’t the reason you being not able to voice chat with your game mates on Fortnite.
Also Read: How to Fix Discord Won’t Open Error
Method 2: Fortnite Audio Settings
Navigate to the Game settings and turn the voice chat off and on a few times. Doing this, would kind of, reset that setting and in some cases, it’s likely to resolve the issue. For some users, it just worked as a temporary fix, like they have to turn off and on voice chat after every game. Below are the steps if you have no idea how to do it.
- Click on the hamburger menu in the upper-right corner and tap on the gear icon to open game settings.
- At the very top, click on speaker icon and under Toggles turn off voice chat and click on Apply.
- Exit Fornite.
- Re-launch it again and turn on the voice chat and see if it’s working or not.
Method 3: Windows Audio Settings
Are you sure that you didn’t mess up with your PC audio settings? If unsure, follow the steps mentioned.
- Right-click on the Speaker icon given at the bottom-right of the corner and select Sounds.
- Click on Playback tab and choose the Speaker/Headphone you are using and tap on Set Default.
- Now, click on the Recording tab and choose the Microphone you are using and click Set Default followed by OK.
You can also test if it’s working fine by speaking onto the microphone while noticing the green bar that will fluctuate as you make a sound.
Enable Apps Access:
In Windows, we even have audio settings which allow us to permit the apps of our choice to access the microphone. So here in this method, you gotta make sure that Fornite has adequate permission to use the microphone and shouldn’t be blocked.
- Press Windows logo + I, and it’d open the Windows Settings page.
- Click on Privacy and on the left pane under App permissions tap on Microphone.
- Toggle On the overall app access to microphone and then scroll down and under the list of apps look for Fornite and make sure the status is On.
Method 4: Install the Latest Patch
The developers are releasing new patches every now and then to eliminating the previous bugs preventing Fornite to work properly. Even though, many users have experienced the bug getting repaired itself after updating the Fortnite. This is why it is important to get the latest patch whenever available.
- Run the Epic Games Launcher
- Click on Library and next tap on the gear icon present lower-right corner of Fornite.
- Toggle On the Auto-update option.
- Close it and restart the launcher. So, if any new patch gets detected, it would automatically start downloading and get install.
Now join your squad and see if the voice chat is working or not.
Method 5: Update the Audio Drivers
Outdated sound drivers have been a major cause for the audio failure. It’s always worth to update the drivers to prevent the unwanted hassle. You can simply do it by navigating to the manufacturer’s website and look for the hardware model and Windows version you are using and check if it has any latest driver available for your sound card. And if yes, update it right off the hook.
Method 6: Restart Windows Audio Service
- Press Windows key + R to open the Run dialog box.
- Enter services.msc within the box and hit OK.
- Under “Services (Local)” address the Windows Audio option and tap on it.
- Click on Restart and close the Window.
Launch Fortnite and test your voice chat again. After performing all the methods mentioned above, if the issue persists, then there’s likely something wrong with the technical’s end of Fortnite. You can check out Fortnite official Discord, Fornite Subreddits, and QNA site to see what other gamers are saying about it. Lastly, if nothing seems to be working at your end, just uninstall Fortnite and re-install it back.
And, I hope it helps you to make Fornite voice chat working again; let me know in the comment box below which method has got you the right way.