Fix Microphone Not Working: Setting up microphone is an easy process, but after that you may experience some problems in its working. Therefore we will here tell you how to fix microphone problems on Windows 10. These problems could be temporary just for a few minutes but it may interrupt your important work too. For instance, if you are going on a Skype meeting and somehow your mic stops working you may feel irritated.
You mic would not have connected properly, or there must be any issue with your mic. There may be many problems with your mic. Be it a connection issue or issue with your settings, we are here to help you in such situations. Let’s start the steps to fix it.
How to Fix Microphone Not Working in Windows 10
Method 1: Reboot your PC
If your microphone is not working, it could be a temporary issue. You should reboot your PC first in such cases as after that maximum times the problem gets solved automatically.
Method 2: Check Ports
This option is for those who use USB mics in the PC. If you are also using USB mic and if it doesn’t work properly the first thing you should do is to check if you are using correct port. If that port is not working you should try another one. If you are using analog mic, then you should check if you have connected your mic to pink line in-port in your PC. Always plug your mic directly in your PC, never use a USB hub.
Try checking for updates of driver for your mic by visiting the manufacturer’s website. If your mic doesn’t work in other ports as well, you try connecting it to another PC. If still the problem persists, there might be some fault in your mic.
Also Read: How to Fix WiFi Keeps Disconnecting
Method 3: Check Sound Settings
Another thing you can do to fix the microphone problems in windows 10 is to check your basic input settings. For this follow the below given steps:
- In your system tray, right click the sound icon.
- Select open sound settings option.
- Or you can simply go to settings of your PC and then click on system > sound.
- On the window, you will get a list of microphones connected under input head. Now here check if correct mic is selected or not in the drop down menu.
- After picking the right mic, try to speak in it. Your test your microphone bar would get light up. If it is not the case, you can click on troubleshoot and the windows will automatically try to detect and fix the issue.
Method 4: Review the List of Recording Devices
If still, you are getting the same issue you can fix it by reviewing your list of recording devices. For this follow these steps.
- Go to the control panel of your PC.
- Here change the category which you will get in the upper right corner. Change it to small icons and choose sound.
- Now go to the recording tab you will see in it. Right click anywhere on this option and make sure that the options ‘Show disabled devices’ and ‘Shot disconnected devices’ are checked.
- Check in the list if your mic is disabled. Right click on it and enable it.
Recommended: How to Record Screen in Windows 10
Method 5: Levels and Exclusive Mode
If you didn’t get your solution above, then double click on your mic and you will get editing options. In the general tab, you can Change the name from generic microphone to something else. On the levels tab, input volume can be adjusted. Try to increase it or decrease it if your mic clips. Now, go to the advanced tab and under Exclusive mode, uncheck both boxes.
After making all these changes, go back to the recording tab and right click on the inputs you don’t use. You will get a disable option. Click on it to keep the list clean. In the final step, right click on your mic and set it as default device. This may fix your problem as many has got their microphone working again using this method.
These were the methods you can use to fix your microphone problems in windows 10. Try all of them to solve. If you get any other solution, please share with us.
- Fix DPC Watchdog Violation Error
- Fix Fortnite Chat Not Working
- How to Install And Configure XAMPP on Windows 10
- How to Disable Laptop Touchpad when Mouse is Connected