Millions of people are asking “how to record screen on Windows 10” machine and none of the articles tell you the best way to do so. It’s kind of funny that I couldn’t find the proper tutorial that could teach me recording requirements, instructions, and recording demonstrations.
However, I won’t make the same mistake and provide in-depth information on requirements, programs, settings, and demonstrations. You can copy my settings and start recording on mid-range Windows machines and even stream on them.
How to Record Screen on Windows 10
Know the requirements first because I don’t want to waste your time installing, trying and come to the conclusion that you don’t have a computer with decent hardware. I want to inform the readers that I stream on YouTube and used several programs for recording & streaming. In short, I’m extremely good at this space and know the in-depth elements.
System Requirements to Record Screen on Windows 10:
Processor: You need a quad-core processor for a smooth experience. Core i3 dual-core processor is a standard option and anything lower than Core i3 can create problems. Currently, I’m using Ryzen 5 1600 (6-cores & 2 threads) processor, which is a Core i5 9th generation equivalent.
RAM: The minimum requirement is 4GB and I recommend 8GB RAM for recording & streaming. Of course, DDR4 3000MHz is recommended and anything lower than 1600MHz will definitely affect the performance. If you are recording screen only, then 1600MHz will suffice.
Graphics Card: You need a decent GPU to record 1080p resolution in high-quality. Currently, I’m using RX 570 (4GB) and it should be enough for recording & streaming. Even Nvidia GT-series should be enough for screen recording because that’s what Nvidia designed the GT-series. Any GTX-series graphics card is capable enough to record screen in 1080p resolution.
Integrated Graphics or Video Memory: Intel graphics are a popular option for modern laptops. However, I won’t recommend Intel integrated graphics because they cannot produce a high-quality image and lacks power. You may not have a smoother experience and modern Intel chipsets (8th generation processors) can provide 1080p screen recording.
SSD or HDD: SSD drive is much faster and recommends for screen recording. Of course, I don’t recommend the purchasing SSD drive for a one-time recording. Make sure to provide 10GB free space in the store because high video quality consumes 10MB – 50MB per second.
I tried to record screen on 1.8GHz + 4GB + 1TB HDD + AMD Quad-core processor + Integrated graphics and the machine crashed. I will provide enough options and suggestions to record the computer screen at 30FPS, so make sure to read the entire tutorial.
Also Read: How to Clear Temp Files in Windows 10
1. OBS Studio (Free)
OBS Studio is a freeware & an open-source project that millions of people around the world use it. Even professional streamers utilise OBS studio because it is probably the most high-end & premium quality program. Even I use OBS Studio for streaming on YouTube and for recording.
OBS Studio does lack a couple of things when it comes to recording capabilities, but it s freeware that has no match in the category. I won’t even take one paragraph to explain OBS features because it has everything that streaming + screen recording program should have.
- Download & Install OBS Studio in Windows 10 PC. The Windows program consists of 72MB & 250MB after installation. OBS follows Windows wizard, so you won’t struggle to install it on Windows PC.
Note: Run the program as administrator. Always run the program as an administrator because a few functions don’t work without the owner’s permission, and that’s how it is.
- Click on the Tools and select Auto-Configuration Wizard to set-up basic settings based on the hardware capabilities.
- Select the second option Optimize for just recording only, I will not be recording and then click on Next to proceed.
- I recommend the newbie to stick to the general settings to avoid the laggy experience. Click on Next to proceed and stick to the default settings.
- Click on Apply Settings to complete the configuration for the screen recording.
- Click on the plus button and then select Display Capture which records your screen and that’s the term OBS follows.
- Select to keep Capture Cursor or you can make it invisible by unselecting it, and then click on OK to proceed.
- Follow the same instruction from Step 7 and add Audio Input Capture which records audio. Add Audio Output Capture to record desktop audio. I mentioned all options available in the + button and improve the recording sequences.
- Tap on the Settings icon located below Start Streaming and Start Recording.
Take plenty of time trying out the options because that’s where the quality adjustments and important option lies. I must say that administrators have to put their minds to understand the advanced options. Try OBS Studio for advanced level recording and controlled environment experience.
Low-end Screen Recording: Stick with the Auto-configuration Wizard settings because the program selects the lowest option available for the computer.
2. NVIDIA Shadow Play/In-game Overlay (Free)
Millions of laptops & Windows machines powered by Nvidia GPU and they hold responsibility for advanced picture quality production. Nvidia targets gamers, streamers, designers and UI/UIX designers. After listening to the existing customer base, they introduced Shadow Play, which is an inbuilt recording function that many people don’t know about it. Although Nvidia gave up on the title, the recording capabilities exist in modern GPUs.
I’ve used it several times in the past and it offers high-quality video + audio production at an expensive of 1% GPU usage. Nvidia is calling the recording functionality in-game overlay and I don’t see the reason behind it. The official developers worked on the design for weeks because it is a user-friendly application that consumed ten minutes to figure out all options.
- Download GeForce Experience and remember, there are certain or minimum hardware requirements that administrators should meet.
- Click on the gear icon for more options.
- Click on General and then click to enable In-game overlay which will enable the recording capabilities. I recommend exploring settings because it will give you complete control over the quality and video format.
- Spend at least ten minutes playing around with the settings.
Note: The overall output file size is decided to depend on the video quality setting.
I used GTX 1050 & GTX 1050 Ti for the process and both GPU’s come under entry-level graphics card. I must salute Nvidia for bringing such an incredible function on the table without sacrificing the performance. I recorded PUBG Lite, Apex Legends, and Screen recording without performance decline.
3. AMD Relive (Free)
AMD also is known as Advanced Micro Devices is a direct competitor of Nvidia in the GPU segment. AMD announced the Relive feature, which is a screen recording + gameplay recording function for AMD based GPUs.
I’m impressed that AMD offered the function on APU’s as well and I have a laptop that supports it. I want to remind the readers that the minimum hardware requirement applies to Relive function because my laptop crashes when recording screens due to low-end specifications.
I’m using AMD RX 570 4GB edition, which is a budget-oriented GPU offered by the company. In short, I’m not using high-end hardware in the process and it works smoothly on mid-range computers. The manufacturer worked on the user interface to make it friendly for beginners.
- Open AMD Control Panel and then select Relive from the bottom. Click to enable Relive and let it load in a few moments.
- Now, click on Record Desktop to enable screen recording.
- Check out the options that I have marked in the list. Make sure to play around with the recording options because that’s what decides how the overall output quality is going to be. Make sure to enable in-game replay because that’s how you control the application.
- Press & hold ALT + Z and the overlay will show up on the screen.
- Now start recording the screen in the highest quality without compromise. You can check the shortcut and options in the overlay and I always use Ctrl + Shift +R to start recording and stop recording. Choose the Max Recording Bitrate carefully because the file size depends on it.
Low-end Screen Recording: I shared a snapshot above, and copy the settings for low-end machine screen recording capabilities.
Overall, Relive is a handy feature for AMD based laptops & Graphics card powered computers.
4. Bandicam (Premium + Free)
Bandicam is developed & licensed by a South Korean software company. Bandicam is a premium solution for screen recording customers that offers easy-to-use programs. I must say that it takes zero effort to learn and start recording the screen in a few minutes.
Bandicam caught my eye, when I wanted to make tutorials online, and it was working fairly smooth on low-end specifications. You can record screen using Core i3 processor, 2GB RAM and integrated graphics (Intel HD Graphics) in 30 fps smoothly. I believe you can push to 60 fps depending on what you are loading in the background. Windows PC administrators can use it for gameplay recording and desktop recording.
- Download & Install the free version for demo purpose and testing purposes.
- Launch the program and then select Video and click on Presets located at the bottom.
- Years of experience are what you find in presets, and select one depending on the hardware.
- I have selected H264 60 FPS (AMD VCE) because my graphics card supports it. You may find Intel or Nvidia in the same spot depending on what GPU the machine is running.
Related: Best FPS Counter for PC Games
In my frank opinion, only three of them matters.
- H264 60 FPS (AMD VCE) or Nvidia or Intel.
- The ultrafast setting for 60 FPS – requires mid-range CPU + GPU.
- Low-end PC for slow & old machines.
Select one of them and start working on the project immediately.
- Click on the drop-down menu to view more options and select one. I have selected Fullscreen which will set the video resolution to monitor resolution.
- Click on the Record button to begin the process.
- Click on the same area to end the recording, and it will be saved in the default folder. You can change the path in General options. The default is located in C:\Users\PCName\Documents\Bandicam and changing it requires sufficient free space partition.
Bandicam is a premium solution offering yearly license key for $39 (1-PC) and $59 (2-PC). Earn additional discounts on the packages during auspicious occasions.
5. Ice Cream Recorder (Premium + Free)
Ice Cream Recorder is a complete solution for desktop recording, gameplay recording and taking screenshots. The program supports multiple file formats and resolutions to meet customers’ end. The developers maintained native user-interface, so they can provide an easy-to-use interface. The free edition implies limitations, which interferes with overall user-experience and I recommend buying the premium version.
In the premium variant, you can access multiple video formats such as MP4, AVI, MOV, etc. I appreciate the developers for providing three crucial presets Low, Medium, and High by default. No need to struggle to find out the rendering file size and quality adjustment. You can add your own watermark and start the process, but it requires a premium edition.
- Download & Install free edition for testing purposes.
- Click on Capture Video and then select one of the preset. I have selected fullscreen because I always record my entire screen and the program selects monitor resolution and it could be 1366×768 (720p) or 1980×1080 (1080p) resolution.
- The program exits the Interface and launches the player.
- Click to record the screen or you can enable/disable webcam, speaker and microphone.
- Click to start and stop recording the screen and then the video file will save on desktop. You can change the destination folder in save as in settings and save the recorded videos in local storage. Ice Cream Recorder is a premium edition that charges a $29.95 one-time fee to access premium features.
Finding a reliable Windows 10 screen recorder is not an easy task because one Google search results offer 100+ solutions. I have provided solutions that I have tried & tested on a daily basis and then suggest them to you. I didn’t make a random list from the internet and recommending it to the readers.
- OBS: Advanced program and requires knowledge to use it.
- Nvidia: Easy to use and high-quality solution with 1% sacrifices in performance.
- AMD: Relive works on low-end machines & consumes less CPU + GPU usage. No doubt that it records desktop screen in high-quality resolution.
- Bandicam: Very easy to use and it is suitable for beginners and those, who don’t have Nvidia or AMD GPU.
- Ice Cream: A plain & simple advanced desktop recording program. It is suitable for beginners but it consumes CPU resources to provide video recording production.
That’s my take on how to record screen on Windows 10 PC. Make sure to update graphics drivers and keep the computer clean for good performance. Choose the power consumption of PC to high because you don’t want the laptop power plan to bottleneck the performance.