Install ADB on Windows: ADB or Android Debug Bridge is a command line utility software which comes bundled with Android SDK for developers and enthusiasts to tinker with and customize their devices. The ADB coupled with the Fastboot utility form part of Platform tools which offers the ability to modify the system files of Android devices with the help of line commands through a computer without having root access on android device.
If you are one of us enthusiasts or would like to get started with android development and wanted to learn how to install ADB (Android Debug Bridge) on Windows 10 then you have landed at the right guide. We are going to take a look at How to Install ADB (Android Debug Bridge) on Windows 10 and How it will help you. So, without further ado, let us begin.
How to Install ADB on Windows 10
The method to install ADB on Windows is quite easy but lengthy and we are going to take a look at them in this guide today.
Step 1: Download and Install ADB
You have to visit the Android Developers SDK landing page right here and download the latest version of the SDK tools corresponding to your operating system.
- Go to this link
- Click the correct version of SDK tools corresponding to your OS
- A popup will appear, click on I have read the T&C and continue
- Download the SDK tools and save it somewhere you will remember (I recommend you to save it on desktop)
Step 2: Extract the Downloaded ADB File
- Navigate to the zip file wherever you downloaded it.
- Extract all the content of the file to C:\ADB as this is usually the root folder where Windows is installed. (I recommend you extract it in the root folder where your Windows is installed)
- If you don’t have extraction tools built into your OS (Highly unlikely since they come bundled from Windows 8 and up) use WinRar or 7Zip to extract.
Step 3: Test ADB
- Go to the folder where you extracted the ADB files and open it
- Holding Shift, right click on any empty space in the folder and you will find an option called Open PowerShell Window here (Open Command Window here on older Windows versions)
- Type adb and hit Enter
- If you see text like in the image then it is installed correctly.
Step 4: Enable USB Debugging on your Device to Check ADB Function
If you aren’t a developer or don’t have developer options enabled on your device yet you will have to enable them. To do so –
- Go to Settings on your Android Phone
- Navigate to About Phone
- Find build number and tap on it quickly 7 to 10 times (It may also require password, pattern or fingerprint authorization)
- A prompt will appear saying You are now a developer.
- You have enabled developer options.
To Enable USB Debugging on your Android Device:
- Go to Settings and About Phone and find an option called Developer options
- In Developers options, find a toggle called Enable USB Debugging and enable it
- Now connect your phone to your PC with ADB Drivers and a pop up should appear on your phone’s screen.
- Click Ok or Allow
Step 5: Test if your Device is being Detected by ADB Tool
- Go to where you extracted your ADB tools (Should be under C in a folder Called ADB)
- Holding Shift, right click on any empty space in the folder and select Open PowerShell here
- Ensure that your android device is connected to your computer and type adb devices
- You should get results similar to the image below if you don’t get the desired result then you may have to download the drivers manually.
Useful commands after you install ADB on Windows 10:
- adb devices – This command displays what ADB supported devices are connected to your system
- adb reboot – restarts your device
- adb backup – Helps you create a complete backup of your device and save it to your computer
- adb sideload – Assists you to loads ROMs and other ZIP files from your computer onto your Android
- adb pull – Helps you copy files from the phone to your computer
- adb reboot – Helps execute fastboot commands by booting into bootloader mode.
We hope you were able to successfully install android ADB drivers on Windows 10. If you have any more questions or get stuck at any point then feel free to talk to us from the comments below and we will certainly help you with your issue. And also learn how to clear temporary files in Windows 10. If you want us to cover any other installation or how-to then don’t forget to let us know about them from the comments below as well.