Using Media Creation Tool in Windows 10? Not able to use it because getting media creation tool error 0x80042405-0xA001b in Windows 10? Read the article to fix the media creation tool error.
If you are experiencing media creation tool errors when using the Windows 10 operating system, you may find the finest solutions to solve the issue below. Are you using the Media Creation tool and getting an error 0x80042405-0xA001B, then you don’t have to worry. Keep scrolling the article and get to know what this error is about so that finding a solution will be much easier for you.
If you’re unfamiliar with the Windows Media Creation Tool, you can learn more about it here. The Windows Media Creation Tool is a useful tool for installing Windows on your computer. This problem can occur with any USB device. This guide will show you how to fix Media Creation Tool Error 0x80042405-0xA001B on Windows 10.
But before that, do you wonder why you are getting such an absurd error that doesn’t even give insight into what it is really about? Hold your horses and check the next section!
Why you are Getting Media Creation Tool Error 0x80042405-0xA001B in Windows 10?
The issue might arise if the utility is unable to correctly format the USB stick. In order for any tool to write the Windows installation media files to the USB drive, all data on the device must be fully erased.
If this operation fails and the Windows Media Creation Tool is unable to correctly format the disc, an appropriate error message will be displayed. In most cases, you will get a 0x80042405-0xA001B error in Windows 10.
Furthermore, there might be partitioning difficulties with the USB device, which could cause the error message to appear. In this case, you’ll need to wipe the USB and establish a main partition with the sophisticated DiskPart program.
Get that out of the way; addressing the problem is rather straightforward, and we’ll go over a couple of different techniques to tackle the problem. Without further ado, let’s get started on how to fix Media Creation Tool error 0x80042405-0xA001B in Windows 10.
How to Fix Media Creation Tool Error 0x80042405-0xA001B in Windows 10
Yes, it’s time to solve the 0x80042405-0xA001B error. There are a few solutions that will help you to fix error 0x80042405-0xA001B in Windows 10 without scratching your head. We have described these methods in the easiest way for you to understand. Have a look!
Don’t worry if one solution won’t work for you. Jump on the next one as everyone has different causes for Media Creation Tool error 0x80042405-0xA001B, so as different solutions to troubleshoot the issue.
1. Format USB Manually to Fix Media Creation Tool Error 0x80042405-0xA001B in Windows 10
The Windows Media Creation Tool, it turns out, may refuse to wipe the data on your USB device, which is why you see the error notice. In this case, you can manually format the USB drive and then build the bootable USB drive using the Windows Media Creation Tool. Follow the procedures below to manually format your USB drive in Windows 10:
- Make sure that your USB drive is linked to your computer. Right-click on Start (Windows icon) that you will find on the extreme bottom left-hand corner of the screen.
- Once File Explorer is opened, locate your USB drive from the left pane. Right-click on the USB drive and select Format option from the menu.
- A new window will open, select NTFS as the File System in the Format box that displays, then click the Start button.
Wait for it to finish. Run the Windows Media Creation Tool again to determine whether the problem still exists. Hopefully, formatting the USB drive manually will solve 0x80042405-0xA001B error in Windows 10.
2. Run Windows Media Creation Tool as an Administrator to Fix Error 0x80042405-0xA001B in Windows 10
If the above method doesn’t work for you, we suggest you run the Windows Media Creation Tool as an administrator. This is extremely helpful since it allows the Windows Media Creation Tool to function as an administrator. As a consequence, you can simply make a bootable USB drive with no third-party software running in the background interfering with the operation.
To run Media Creation Tool as an administrator in Windows 10, follow the below options:
- Locate the MediaCreationTool.exe in your system. Most probably, it will be lying in your Downloads folder.
- Once you find it, right-click on MediaCreationTool.exe file. Select Run as administrator from the drop-down menu.
- In the User Access Control dialogue box that displays after that, select Yes.
Restart your computer after that. Check whether this method helps you to fix the Media Creation Tool 0x80042405-0xA001B error in Windows 10. If not, jump to the next solution.
3. How to Resolve error 0x80042405-0xA001B by Re-Partition USB Drive with DiskPart
USB drives are readily destroyed, and the operating system may fail to recognize them in some instances. This generally refers to a partitioning problem on your disc, which occurs when the drive has been formatted wrongly or has been corrupted.
You may clean out your USB device using Windows’ DiskPart application in this case. You can quickly re-partition your USB drive with the aid of DiskPart, removing all possibilities. Follow the steps outlined below to re-partition the USB drive with the DiskPart tool:
- Open a Command Prompt. To do so, type CMD in the Task Bar Menu search bar. Right-click on it and select the Run as administrator option.
- Type diskpart and press Enter key. The DiskPart utility will be launched as a result of this.
- Make sure the USB drive is linked to the computer. After that, put the list disk into the search box and press Enter. Two disks will be mentioned at this stage. However this may vary based on your internal storage. By comparing the size of the disc, you may find the number of your USB drive.
- Select the disc by typing the select disc # once you’ve got your disc number. The number # refers to the disk’s serial number.
- Now type clean and press the Enter key. The disc will be cleaned as a result of this.
- At this stage, we must divide the space into sections. To do so, type create partition primary into the command prompt.
- After that, type select partition 1 and press Enter. This will make the newly formed partition the active partition. The partition must now be made active. To make the partition active, type active and press Enter.
- Finally, the drive is ready to be formatted. To do so, quickly type format fs=ntfs and press Enter.
- At this point, all we need to do is give the drive a letter. To do so, type assign letter=g and then press Enter.
After you’ve completed all of this, enter quit leaving DiskPart. Close the command prompt window after that. To test whether the error 0x80042405-0xA001B is gone, launch the Windows Media Creation Tool and create a bootable USB device.
4. Reset Media Creation Tool to Resolve Error 0x80042405-0xA001B in Windows 10
There are a few users that reported that resetting the Media Creation Tool help them to fix media creation tool error 0x80042405-0xA001B in Windows 10. You should try it too.
Check the below steps on how to reset Media Creation Tool in Windows 10:
- Type Control Panel in Task Bar Search menu bar, then press the Enter key.
- Once Control Panel is opened, click on File Explorer Options to proceed further.
- On the next window, select the View tab, then turn on Show hidden files, folders, and drives option. Then, to confirm the changes and dismiss the current window, click on Apply and then OK.
- Open File Explorer by right-clicking on Start icon and choose from the drop-down menu.
- Go to the root disk by selecting This PC from the left window (most probably C: drive). Double-click on C: and remove these two folders:
$windows.~WS and $windows.~BT
This will help you to fix media creation tool error 0x80042405-0xA001B in Windows 10. Check the other solutions if this method didn’t help you.
5. How to Fix Media Creation Tool Error 0x80042405-0xA001B by Installing KB4505903 Update
The error message is occasionally triggered by a Windows issue, as it turns out. There is a significant probability that you are experiencing the problem because you are using an earlier version of the Windows 10 operating system.
This mistake was the focus of the KB4505903 release, which provided a fix. As a result, you’ll need to download and install the KB4505903 update to fix the problem. To download and install this update, simply follow the steps below:
- To begin, go to the Microsoft Update Catalog website. In the search bar, type KB4505903 and click on Search button on the right-hand side of the screen.
- On the next screen, find the update for your specific system. Click on Download button next to it.
- Simply execute the file once it has finished downloading and wait for it to finish.
After you’ve finished installing the update, restart your computer to see if that fixed the 0x80042405-0xA001B error in Windows 10.
6. How to Fix Error 0x80042405-0xA001B by Converting MBR to GPT
The Media Creation tool problem most likely occurs after you’ve installed a recent Windows Update. The problem is most likely to be caused by unexpected configuration adjustments. In such cases, converting MBR to GPT is an excellent technique to cleanly install Windows.
This will undoubtedly eliminate the fundamental source of the problem. Let’s have a look at how to accomplish it-
- Search for cmd in the Task Bar Search menu bar, then right-click on the Command Prompt and select Run as administrator.
- Type Diskpart into the elevated command prompt and hit Enter.
- After that, use the list disk command to remember the USB drive’s unique number.
- Run each instruction one after the other from now on.
select disk <Enter>
convert mbr <Enter>
create partition primary <Enter>
format fs=fat32 quick <Enter>
You can make the bootable disc without suffering the Media Creation tool error 0x80042405 – 0xa001b once these codes have been completed successfully.
7. Disable USB Selective Suspend Setting to Fix Error 0x80042405-0xA001B in Windows 10
We will disable the USB Selective Suspend feature in Windows 10 and see if that fixes Media Creation tool error 0x80042405-0xA001B in Windows 10. To do so, follow the below steps:
- To open the Control Panel, type Control Panel into Task Bar Menu search bar.
- Select Power Options from the Control Panel menu.
- From the Power Options Menu, click on Change while the computer sleeps link from the left pane.
- On the next screen, click on Change advanced power settings.
- In the Power Options window, expand USB settings, then USB selective suspend setting. Make sure the feature is disabled in both On Battery and Plugged in options. To save changes, click on Apply and then OK.
This approach will prevent the USB device from going into suspension mode, and the error 0x80042405-0xA001B will not flash next time you use Media Creation Tool.
These are all the solutions that we think will help you to fix Media Creation Tool Error 0x80042405-0xA001B in Windows 10. Do not get disappointed if any of the solutions don’t work for you. Keep on trying until all methods are not exhausted and one of these would work for sure.
Additionally, if you have any other method that you can think can fix error 0x80042405-0xA001B in Windows 10, do let us know in the comments section below. We would really appreciate it as will help our readers to fix this Media Creation Tool error.