Windows is the preferred and best platform for gamers, but when we purchase new Windows PC we get better performance and high speed after sometimes which disappoints us. This is not due to the issue in your PC or Windows. That’s all because there are many applications which slow your Windows 10 down. The application which is installed in your PC can also boots up performance.
Some might have taken your permission for this and might be running at their own will. If you want your PC to run like before you would need to speed up windows 10 for gaming and performance. Here are the ways with which you can optimize windows 10 for gaming and performance.
How to Speed Up Windows 10
1. Game Mode
The first thing you could do to improve gaming performance for your PC is to run gaming mode on it while gaming. This mode has been created by Microsoft with a purpose to increase the gaming performance of PC for gamers.
However, many users feel that they do not feel any difference even after turning this mode on. But, you should give it a try for sure. To turn on this mode, press ‘Win’ + ‘G’ keys together. Then on the opened window, click on “Use this game mode”.
2. Active Hours
Windows keep getting updated with newly launched updates. These updates generally run in background and restarts automatically your PC when in non active hours. You can stop updating your PC, but you can delay the timings of updates. That is possible only if you change active hours of your PC. To change your active hours follow these steps:
- Go to the windows settings. For that you can use shortcut ‘Win+I’.
- Now click on update and security, and click on windows update.
- Go to advanced options and click on update options.
- Here you would need to disable the option ‘automatically download updates, even over metered Data connections (charges may apply).
- Also, leave the option ‘We’ll show you a reminder when we’re going to restart. This will provide you warning next time.
This will now not restart your PC automatically and would give you enough warnings before doing that.
3. Disable Auto Updating games in Steam
If you are a player in windows PC, you might be using steam to buy or install games in your PC. Steam has an auto updating feature that can be disabled in your settings. When it auto updates games it ruin your gaming experience by limiting network connectivity and also it may eat up your PC’s memory. Due to this it is required to disable this option of you want to freely enjoy your gaming without any kind of interruption.
To disable it you can simply go to the settings of steam. There you would need to click on downloads option. Here uncheck the option ‘Allow downloads during gameplay’. This will disable automatic updating of games.
4. Adjust Windows 10 Visual Effects
The graphical user interface your PC could be a reason of tampered performance of your PC. The fancy GUI of your PC may conflict with the games you are running on it. So you would need to adjust the settings of visual effects of your PC. This will help you to optimize windows 10 for gaming and performance. To adjust the settings of the GUI of your PC, you would need to follow these steps:
- Press ‘Windows + I’ keys.
- Type performance and select adjust the appearance and performance of windows.
- Choose ‘adjust for best performance’ option.
- Click apply and OK.
5. Use High Power Plan
Power plans can also impact the performance of your PC. You might have ignored it earlier but it is recommended to give it a try to use most of your CPU power. Adjusting might help you as it has helped many gamers in optimizing their windows 10. To adjust follow these steps:
- Press ‘Win+I’ keys.
- Type Power
- Go to the Power and sleep settings
- Click additional Power settings
- Select High Performance option.
- If you do not have this option you can create a power plan and set it on high performance.
6. Update your Drivers
GPU of your PC is the core thing for your gaming experience. Windows 10 doesn’t automatically update it. If your GUI drivers are not updated it could create glitches in your gaming. Thus it is required to update the drivers regularly to have smooth gaming experience. To update follow these steps:
- To check your GPU name and specifications, you would have to right click on desktop.
- From the menu click on Display Settings > Advanced Display Settings > Display Adapter Properties.
- You can download the updates using Properties > Driver > Update Driver.
- You can also visit the manufacturer’s site and update it from there.
7. Disable WiFi Sense
In your PC, WiFi sense will automatically connect you with the network it finds safe or with the recognized ones. Especially, when you are using WiFi at a cafe or neighbor’s WiFi you may find it a headache. It is thus required to disable WiFi sense to avoid such problems. Here is the way to disable it:
- Open settings using ‘Win+I’.
- Click on Networks & Internet option.
- Choose WiFi.
- Disable all options you find in WiFi window.
These were the steps you are required to follow to optimize windows 10 for gaming and performance. Follow these and keep gaming.
- How to Uninstall Edge Browser on Windows 10
- How to Delete Temp Files in Windows 10
- How to Change Default Apps in Windows 10